Pandemic Influenza Related Illness Policy
A pandemic is described as a global disease outbreak that will affect an undetermined number of individuals. A pandemic occurs when a new virus emerges for which people have little or no immunity, and for which there is no readily available vaccine. The disease spreads easily person-to-person, causes serious illness or fatality, and can sweep across the country and around the world in a very short time.
In the event the President authorizes the pandemic influenza emergency plan for the College, the following pandemic related illness policy will be in effect for all faculty and staff (employees) until such time that normal business operations are resumed.
The community will be notified of a campus pandemic alert and/or campus closure via Spelman Alert system, www.spelman.edu, e-mail announcements, television news broadcasts and/or voicemail messages. Announcements regarding updates and campus reopening will be made via www.spelman.edu, local television news broadcasts and campus e-mail.
- If the campus remains open during a campus pandemic alert, employees who report to campus with flu-like symptoms for one day or who believe they have flu-like symptoms must be released immediately from campus and/or not permitted to work without first seeking medical attention. Employees who learn they have a pandemic influenza related illness are encouraged to stay at home until they are well. Such employees must notify their supervisor or department chair immediately when it is determined that they must remain home due to a pandemic influenza related illness. Employees will be compensated for their time off.
- If an employee’s immediate family member who lives in the same household has a pandemic influenza related illness, the employee is encouraged to stay at home and provide care for the family member until the family member is well. The employee will be compensated for the time off.
- If the campus closes, all employees will be released from campus. Through coordination with payroll, employees will receive one payment for the entire time the College anticipates being closed, not to exceed 12 weeks of pay. Payment will be direct deposited or manually distributed within 5 business days of closure notice. Only employees without direct deposit, or someone they authorize, may pick their paychecks up from a designated campus location. Employees on a pre-approved leave of absence or vacation will remain in that status until the scheduled end date, unless documentation is provided that verifies the employee’s inability to use the leave due to the pandemic influenza.
- Pay will be based on the employee’s regular work schedule or the established academic schedule. Any overtime or exceptions such as jury duty or vacation time must be recorded on timesheets or exception reports before the campus closes.
- If the campus closes for a pandemic emergency, only essential/designated employees who are requested to work directly by the division Vice President will be authorized to work either on campus or from home. All other employees are not to report to work and should not work from home.
- Essential/designated staff employees required to work on campus will receive additional pay ranging from $250.00 to $2,500.00. Also, faculty who are determined to be essential/designated (care of lab animals, etc.) will be compensated additional pay ranging from $250.00 to $2,500.00. The employee must be authorized to report to campus by the divisional Vice President. Pay will be based on the level of work and the amount of time required to complete the requested task(s). Additional pay will be paid within 30 days of the campus reopening. This special pay arrangement is for a pandemic related closure only.
- Essential/designated staff as identified by the divisional Vice President required to work from home may be eligible for additional pay ranging from $250.00 to $2,500.00. Pay will be based on the level of work and the amount of time required to complete the requested task(s). Additional pay must be reviewed by the Office of Human Resources and approved by the President. Additional pay will be paid to employees within 30 days of the campus reopening. This special pay arrangement is for a pandemic related closure only.
- In the event the illness is not pandemic influenza related, staff should adhere to the regular sick leave policy. Faculty should follow their normal practice for all other illness related absences.
Policy No. 307 A Effective Date: 9/2/2009